Welcome!Are You Ready for Competition Math? Art of Doing Math hosts MathLeague’s official monthly contests in northern Nevada and specifically in the greater Reno, Sparks, and Lake Tahoe region. MathLeague is the largest competitive math organization for elementary, middle, and high school students in the United States with over 200 competitions involving over 20,000 students each year.
If you are not familiar with MathLeague contests, here is a quick summary:
- Elementary School (grades 3-6th) covers math typically taught through 6th grade. The contest involves three individual tests and one team test. The individual tests are Number Sense (80 “mental math” questions in 10 minutes), Sprint (30 multiple choice questions in 40 minutes), and Target (four sets of two questions with 6 minutes each set; calculators allowed). The team test involves 10 questions over 20 minutes, calculators allowed. Each school can host multiple teams of up to four students each. Second graders are invited to compete with 3rd graders; 6th graders can and should compete in both elementary and middle school contests.
- Middle School (grades 6-8th) covers math typically taught through 8th grade. The contest involves two individual tests, one team test, and a countdown round. The individual tests are Sprint (30 multiple choice questions in 40 minutes), and Target (four sets of two questions with 6 minutes each set; calculators allowed). The team test involves 10 questions over 20 minutes, calculators allowed. The Countdown Round is one question at a time to students who compete head-to-head. Each school can host multiple teams of up to four students each. Fifth graders are invited to complete with 6th graders.
We invite you to compete!
Math Expo & Contest
Art of Doing Math is pleased to announce and host our first annual Math Expo and Contest in September 2019. This event will include exhibits, workshops, and math contests for 2nd through 12th grade students interested in competition math. Sign up now and get free invite to participate in our math practice sessions held each week throughout the summer.
- Please Help Send Our MathLeague Teams To The National Math Championship! Coral Academy GoFundMe Page
- Sixteen Reno Area Students Qualified for MathLeague’s Elementary School National Championship! Congratulations!!! View Qualifiers
- 2019-2020 MathLeague Season Our fall season begins in October and we will have month elementary, middle, and high school contests. View Schedule
- Nevada State Math Championship Results! View Results
- (INTER)2 SECT National Math Championship Results! View Results